Monday, November 01, 2004

South Africa's bumper crop

By Jack Malvern, Arts Reporter (The Times)

A FILM that recreates the Soweto riots of 1976 using real participants as extras is one of a bumper crop of South African films at The Times bfi London Film Festival.
The combination of a weak currency and a keen government have spurred a film industry that has previously struggled. In the past year 15 feature films have been made in South Africa about South Africa.

Stander, based on the life of a policeman who became South Africa’s most notorious bank robber, is the most expensive South African co-production ever made, and is one of four South African films at the festival.

Bronwen Hughes, Stander’s Canadian director, used 1,300 extras to re-enact the Tembisa uprising, the scene of a police massacre where Andre Stander took charge. “It was enormous,” she said. “We thought it would trigger feelings to go off in a real way. The crowd broke out into a harmony protest song. Just as I was thinking that this was the most joyous thing I had ever heard, my assistant said to me: ‘This is the scariest thing I have ever seen.’ ”

The film portrays Stander wracked with guilt. He began a spree of bank robberies, which he was then asked to investigate. Eventually convicted, he broke out of jail and formed the Stander Gang, which sometimes robbed four banks a day.

The other three South African films at the festival were funded domestically. Yesterday, the first international film to be scripted in the Isi-Zulu language, tells of a woman who is rejected by her husband when she discovers she is HIV-positive. Drum is about a jailed journalist. Max and Mona, which has already been shown, is a quirky tale of Johannesburg township life.



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about food nutrition. It pretty much covers food nutrition related stuff.

4:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about make a living selling on ebayand wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about **keyword** make a living selling on ebay so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

5:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would anyone like a vacation certificate for FREE hotel rooms ($400 value)? You can choose from twenty fantastic resort locations.

I am trying to find people interested in maybe improving their free network marketing lead. If you are interested in free network marketing lead Please visit my website.

I am personally giving away FREE vacation certificates to ALL new customers. There is a 60 day money back guarantee on my product if you don't like it, but the vacation certificate for FREE hotel rooms is yours to keep. A $400 value!

I look forward to hearing about your awesome vacation, not to mention the improvement with your free network marketing lead.

10:57 pm  
Blogger Web Lover said...

Wanted to say -I enjoyed your Blog! I found you had alot of interesting comments here and information regarding science experiments for kids
I have a website **Preschool Learning Online.com** Hopefully If you get a minute or 2 you will pop by and Check It Out! There is alot of great Free Information for Parents and Kids related to science experiments for kids and similar bits of information.

Thanks,

10:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the Christmas season also: classic christmas tree , might as well get in the spirit early this year!

9:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just A Quick Hello From VooDoo Blogger :-)

6:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment

10:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Good day everyone, I shall be researching something interesting today. . . It is called "affiliate programs" - not to sound a fool but I do really wish to become a master affilaite...

If it is not too much out of point here; please respond with some useful info about these programs.

Sincerly,
remove adware

4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home